sleepfoundation.org| Leesa Legend Mattress Review
Leesa Legend Mattress Review
Leesa is one of a leading group of companies that has helped to popularize online mattress sales. While the company started out with just one mattress offering, they have since expanded, and their most recently launched option, the Leesa Legend, is an impressive luxury hybrid mattress.
In addition to the Leesa Legend, there are two other mattresses in the Leesa product line:
- The Leesa Original, a 10-inch all-foam mattress that is their softest and most affordable.
- The Leesa Hybrid, an 11-inch hybrid that offers a mixture of pressure point support and responsiveness.
The Leesa Legend stands out from the other offerings because of its environmentally friendly use of recycled materials in both its cover and support core as well as its innovative multi-material comfort system.
This mattress offers significant pressure relief and motion isolation without sacrificing bounce, temperature regulation, or edge support. With a Medium Firm feel, it is a solid fit for people in many sleeping positions and of all kinds of body sizes.
Awards for the Leesa Legend Mattress
Leesa Legend Mattress Review Breakdown
The Leesa Legend is a hybrid mattress that employs a handful of innovative design elements that help make it distinct from many other hybrids on the market.
The cover of the Leesa Legend is made with a blend of multiple materials including polyester, organic cotton, Merino wool, rayon, spandex, and a material known as Recycled PES, which is derived from plastic that could otherwise end up in landfills. The cover is stretchy, breathable, and soft. It’s also a huge selling point for eco-conscious customers because each bed helps remove dozens of plastic bottles from the environment.
The Leesa Legend employs a multi-layer comfort system that includes several different materials. The top layer is one inch of polyfoam with mild contouring and an aerated structure that facilitates airflow. The second layer is one inch of pressure-relieving and motion-isolating memory foam.
The third layer of the comfort system features one of the new and innovative materials in the Leesa Legend. This layer is 1.5 inches and built with a mixture of micro-coils and polyfoam. In the center of the bed, this layer has softer polyfoam to cushion the hips and lumbar spine, but under the head and feet are bouncier micro-coils. This combination helps maintain edge support and responsiveness while reinforcing the midsection to enhance spinal alignment.
The final layer of the comfort system is one inch of transition polyfoam that decreases pressure on the support core, which is made up of two components. The main element of the support core is six inches of individually-wrapped innerspring coils. This type of coil creates a more tailored feel with less motion transfer. The coils are medium-thick (15 gauge), reinforced around the perimeter, and made principally of recycled steel.
The bottom layer of the support core is one inch of a high-density base polyfoam that helps maintain stability and cut down on possible noise from the movement of the coils.
With all of these layers working in conjunction, the Leesa Legend has a Medium Firm feel that rates around a six on the firmness scale.
|Firmness||Medium Firm – 6|
Leesa Legend Prices and Sizing
The Leesa Legend was built to be a luxury hybrid with advanced features, and that is evident in its price point, which falls above the majority of other hybrids on the market. While it may be beyond the budget of many shoppers, it’s price isn’t unreasonably high, especially given its robust design and innovative materials.
This mattress is available in the standard mattress sizes except for Twin. Detailed specifications and pricing for each mattress size can be found below.
|Twin XL||39″ x 80″||12″||81 lbs.||$1,999|
|Full||54″ x 75″||12″||103 lbs.||$2,299|
|Queen||60″ x 80″||12″||119 lbs.||$2,499|
|King||76″ x 80″||12″||149 lbs.||$2,999|
|California King||72″ x 84″||12″||149 lbs.||$2,999|
Leesa Legend Mattress Performance
The motion isolation on the Leesa Legend ranks as above-average, which is impressive given the amount of bounce offered by the bed.
The motion isolation comes predominantly from the memory foam layer in the comfort system. That said, the mixed layer of micro-coils and polyfoam works against excess motion transfer, and the system of pocketed coils in the support core also reduces movement-driven sleep disruptions.
While the Leesa Legend isn’t exemplary for motion isolation, it’s plenty effective to prevent unwanted nighttime disturbances for most people who share a bed.
Multiple materials in the Leesa Legend help it provide above-average pressure relief.
The memory foam layer creates significant conforming that can accommodate the parts of the body with the greatest demand for cushioning. The special layer of zoned micro-coils and polyfoam bolsters support under the midsection, and the other polyfoam layers in the comfort system complement those materials and fight against excessive sinking into the Leesa Legend. The independent movement of the pocketed coils boosts the bed’s ability to tailor to the body of any individual sleeper.
Each of these elements contributes to solid pressure relief for most types of sleepers on this mattress.
Very few sleepers describe having issues with heat retention on the Leesa Legend.
The foam layer that is closest to the body has an aerated construction to let air flow through it. The memory foam may capture some heat, but that is counteracted by the micro-coils and pocketed coils that encourage cooling ventilation. Because its responsiveness keeps sleepers from feeling stuck in the mattress, the Leesa Legend eliminates another potential cause of overheating.
Taken together, these design elements make the Leesa Legend a quality choice when it comes to temperature regulation, including for people who tend to sleep hot.
The Leesa Legend performs well in the edge support category. Almost every mattress has more give at the edge than in the middle, but the real question is whether a mattress maintains its overall structural integrity when someone is sleeping or sitting near the perimeter.
The Leesa Legend passes that test, effectively maintaining its shape and stability at the edge despite some compression. The use of two different layers of coils works to prop up the edges even if people notice some sinking of the foam around the outside of the bed.
|Ease of Movement||4/5||Moving around on top of the Leesa Legend is nearly effortless. With a Medium Firm feel and modest hug, the mattress keeps sleepers from feeling like they are in instead of on the mattress. At the same time, the responsiveness of the coils makes it smooth and painless to shift positions during the night.|
|Sex||4/5||The bounce that makes it easy to move on the Leesa Legend also helps facilitate sexual activity. The top layers are soft enough to make almost any position comfortable, while the responsiveness makes it easy to make rapid movements and change positions. The edge support also helps couples utilize the full mattress surface during intimate activities.|
It is rare for customers to detect any significant smell from the Leesa Legend. There will be a light scent when the packaging is opened that comes from the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) generated during manufacturing, but those VOCs are generally not considered to be harmful.
In a well-ventilated bedroom, any smell should dissipate quickly, typically within the span of a few hours to a few days at most.
Sleeping Style and Body Weight
How you prefer to sleep and your body weight are two of the considerations that you can use to determine whether any mattress, including the Leesa Legend, is likely to be a good fit for you.
- What They Need: Side sleepers need enough contouring to make sure there isn’t too much impact at their key pressure spots. Those spots are at the hips and shoulders where the body is widest. A bed that’s too firm will be jarring in those pressure points, but a bed that’s too soft will let them sink out of alignment with the rest of their body. Medium Soft to Medium Firm beds (4-6 on the firmness scale) with moderate conforming tend to give side sleepers the best overall support.
- How the Leesa Legend Fits: The Leesa Legend is a good match for side sleepers because it has each of the characteristics necessary to meet their needs. With a balance of contouring and bounce, it can cradle the body without giving out. The zoned micro-coil layer also gives extra reinforcement, especially around the hips. The Medium Firm feel suits most side sleepers, though it may feel a little on the firm side for people under 130 pounds.
- What They Need: Back sleepers are most at risk of misalignment around the lower back. This area, known as the lumbar spine, has a natural curve that requires cushioning, but if a mattress is too soft, the body is inclined to sink in the shape of a U. Without the same sharp pressure points as side sleepers, people on their back tend to do better with firmer options, usually ranging from Medium (5) to Firm (7).
- How the Leesa Legend Fits: The Leesa Legend is a good bet for back sleepers of any weight. Its contouring is sufficient to protect the lumbar spine, but it’s not so soft as to induce the dreaded U-shape. Some stomach sleepers, though, and especially those over 200 pounds, may find it to be a touch too soft.
- What They Need: Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that can keep their body from sinking into an unnatural alignment. Most often, that sinking happens around the abdomen, which is where most people carry the highest proportion of their weight. Stomach sleepers can also feel like they are getting stuck in a mattress that is too soft. For this reason, they usually do best on a Medium Firm (6) to Firm (8) mattress.
- How the Leesa Legend Fits: The Leesa Legend is best suited to stomach sleepers who weigh under 200 pounds. These sleepers can benefit from its mixture of responsiveness and pressure relief that will support the body without a sinking, quicksand-like feeling. People over 200 pounds, though, put more pressure on the mattress and may find the degree of contouring to be too much. Other stomach sleepers in general may simply find that they prefer a mattress toward the higher end of the firmness scale.
|Under 130 lbs.||130-200 lbs.||Above 200 lbs.|
Leesa Legend Customer Reviews
Reviews from users of the Leesa Legend provide perspective on its benefits and downsides. However, this mattress was only released in October of 2019, so the total number of reviews is small compared to mattresses that have been on the market for many years, including other Leesa mattresses.
Overall, customers have demonstrated extremely high levels of satisfaction with the Leesa Legend. Some of the highlighted positives include:
- Help with back, hip, neck, and/or shoulder pain. A number of customers have indicated that the pressure relief from the Leesa Legend has helped mitigate the body aches that they felt when using other mattresses in the past.
- A degree of firmness and bounce that keeps from being stuck in the bed. Users of this mattress appreciate that, despite its conforming properties, it never feels like quicksand.
- Solid edge support. People who often find themselves sitting or sleeping near the edge of the bed like the way that the innerspring coils help maintain the structural integrity of the mattress.
Few downsides have been called out by customers, but some of the issues that have been noted include:
- The mattress is relatively bulky and heavy. With its total weight, carrying the Leesa Legend, even when it’s compressed in a box, can be difficult and may require 2-3 people. The mattress does not have handles, so lifting and repositioning the mattress can be a challenge, especially in the larger mattress sizes.
- The firmness feel isn’t for everyone. Some customers haven’t loved the Medium Firm feel, but of course, this is subjective and does not reflect negatively on the performance of the mattress.
Given the relative lack of written customer reviews for the Leesa Legend, we took a careful look at the writeups from other independent reviewers and found their assessments of the pros and cons of this mattress to be aligned with ours.
In addition, customers generally have found that Leesa shows a high level of attention and professionalism in all aspects of customer care.
|Leesa||4.8/5 (25+ reviews)|
Leesa’s Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
The Leesa Legend can be purchased either online or in a physical store.
The only place to buy the Leesa Legend online is on the Leesa website. Unlike other Leesa mattress offerings, the Leesa Legend is not sold through Amazon.
Through its website, Leesa sells this mattress to customers throughout the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) as well as to people in Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Customers who want to shop in a physical store can find the Leesa Legend at Leesa’s branded retail store, the Dream Gallery, in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Leesa works with several national retail stores — Macy’s, West Elm, and Pottery Barn — to sell their mattresses, but not all of those stores carry all Leesa products. Leesa has a Store Finder page on their website, and customers may want to inquire directly with Leesa or a local brick-and-mortar store about whether the Leesa Legend is in-stock and on the showroom floor.
The Leesa Legend comes with free standard shipping with UPS Ground. Normally within about a week, the mattress arrives at your doorstep. To enable shipping, the mattress is tightly compressed in plastic and then sent as a bed-in-a-box.
To install the mattress, you bring the box to the room of your choice and remove all the packaging. The mattress will quickly decompress and reach its full size. Lifting the box and setting up the mattress should be done with two-to-three people.
Extra charges for shipping apply to deliveries outside the United States. Quotes for shipping, including prices and timelines, are available directly from Leesa.
Purchases made in a brick-and-mortar store may come with different delivery policies, so check with any retailer about the timeline and cost of shipping.
Within most parts of the contiguous United States, Leesa offers a White Glove delivery option. If customers select this delivery method, Leesa coordinates a time for technicians to come to your home and install the mattress. They will also remove an old mattress if needed.
White Glove delivery costs $150. To account for scheduling, White Glove installation may add an extra week to your mattress delivery time.
The Leesa Legend has a 100-night sleep trial. You are required to keep the bed for a 30-night break-in period. After 30 nights, you can return the mattress if you are not satisfied.
To facilitate returns, Leesa works with customers to help arrange for the mattress to be picked up from your home and then donated.
There are no return shipping or restocking fees, except for people in Alaska and Hawaii, who must pay $100 for return shipping. If you used White Glove delivery services, that $150 fee is non-refundable.
|Warranty||The warranty for the Leesa Legend lasts for 10 years and covers defects in manufacturing and materials. If a defect arises, Leesa will either repair or replace the mattress. The only charges to the customer for warranty service are those related to shipping.|
Mattresses & Pillows